Jens Ahrens has been an Associate Professor and head of the Audio Technology Group within the Division of Applied Acoustics at Chalmers since 2016. He has also been a Visiting Professor at the Applied Psychoacoustics Lab at University of Huddersfield, UK, since 2018. Jens received his Diploma (equivalent to a M.Sc.) in Electrical Engineering/Sound Engineering jointly from Graz University of Technology and the University of Music and Dramatic Arts, Graz, Austria, in 2005. He completed his Doctoral Degree (Dr.-Ing.) at the Technische Universität Berlin, Germany, in 2010. From 2006 to 2011, he was a member of the Audio Technology Group at Deutsche Telekom Laboratories / TU Berlin where he worked on the topic of sound field synthesis. From 2011 to 2013, Jens was a Postdoctoral Researcher at Microsoft Research in Redmond, Washington, USA. Thereafter, he re-joined the Quality and Usability Lab at the Technische Universität Berlin. In the fall and winter terms of 2015/16, he was a Visiting Scholar at the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA) at Stanford University, California, USA.
Find more information here.
- Physical theory of sound field synthesis
- Signal processing for sound field synthesis
- Room acoustics and artificial reverberation
- Psychoacoustics of spatial audio
- Modeling of head-related transfer functions for headphone reproduction
- Object-oriented representation of spatial audio scenes
- Interaction with spatial audio scenes
- Signal processing for microphone arrays
See also the pages of the Audio Technology Group.
Current Research Projects
- Levitate (EC, FET Open)
- 3D audio capture and rendering using spherical microphone arrays (with Oculus Research)
- Adaptive acoustic crosstalk cancelation using linear loudspeaker arrays (with Aarhus University and Dynaudio A/S)
- SoundScape Renderer
- Audio Technology and Acoustics
- Sound and Vibration Measurements
- Signal Processing in Acoustics (PhD course)
- Communication Acoustics (MOOC, part 1, part 2)