Jens Ahrens has been an Associate Professor and head of the Audio Technology Group within the Division of Applied Acoustics at Chalmers since 2016. He received his Diplom (equivalent to a M.Sc.) in Electrical Engineering and Audio Engineering jointly from Graz University of Technology and the University of Music and Performing Arts, Graz, Austria, in 2005. Jens completed his Doctoral Degree (Dr.-Ing.) at the Technische Universität Berlin, Germany, in 2010. From 2006 to 2011, he was a member of the Audio Technology Group at Deutsche Telekom Laboratories / TU Berlin where he worked on the topic of sound field synthesis. From 2011 to 2013, Jens was a Postdoctoral Researcher at Microsoft Research in Redmond, Washington, USA. Thereafter, he re-joined the Quality and Usability Lab at the Technische Universität Berlin. In the fall and winter terms of 2015/16, he was a Visiting Scholar at the Center for Computer Research in Music and Acoustics (CCRMA) at Stanford University, California, USA.
Find more information here.
International Roles Since 2016
|2023 –||Associate Editor of the IEEE/ACM Transactions on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing|
|2022 –||Associate Editor of the EURASIP Journal on Audio, Speech, and Music Processing|
|2022||Visiting Professor, Reality Labs Research, Meta, USA|
|2021 –||Vice-President of the Scientific Advisory Board of KFB Acoustics, Poland|
|2021||Visiting Professor, International Audio Laboratories, Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nuremberg, Germany|
|2020 – 2022||Guest Editor of the EURASIP Journal on Audio, Speech, and Music Processing|
|2019 –||Associate Editor of the IEEE Signal Processing Letters|
|2018 – 2020||Visiting Professor, Centre for Audio and Psychoacoustic Engineering, University of Huddersfield, UK|
- Physical theory of sound field synthesis
- Signal processing for sound field synthesis
- Room acoustics and artificial reverberation
- Psychoacoustics of spatial audio
- Modeling of head-related transfer functions for headphone reproduction
- Object-oriented representation of spatial audio scenes
- Interaction with spatial audio scenes
- Signal processing for microphone arrays
See also the pages of the Audio Technology Group.
Current Research Projects
- Levitate (EC, FET Open)
- 3D audio capture and rendering using spherical microphone arrays (with Facebook Reality Labs)
- SoundScape Renderer
- Introduction to Audio Technology and Acoustics
- Sound and Vibration Measurements
- Digital Signal Processing for Audio Engineering and Active Sound and Vibration Control
- Individual Preparation Course
- Room Acoustics
- Music Engineering (Tracks course)
- Communication Acoustics (MOOC, part 1, part 2)
- A complete list of publications can be found here.
- Jens Ahrens’s profile on Google Scholar is here.
- Jens Ahrens’s reviewer profile is here.
- Jens Ahrens’s YouTube channel